Discovering DC: Arlington

23.8.13

This week's Discovering DC heads to Arlington with Elizabeth from Love. Life. Beauty.

What’s your history with Arlington and D.C.?
I attended The George Washington University for undergrad from 2008-2012.  While I lived on campus all four years that definitely didn't stop me from experiencing everything D.C. has to offer from the amazing restaurants, great late night hot spots, and luxurious shopping.  I decided to go straight to graduate school at GW so now I'm a student at GWU's Graduate School of Education and Human Development, studying to get my M.Ed May 2014 in elementary education.  

I chose to live in Arlington, I live in the Columbia Heights neighborhood [less than 1mile from Pentagon City, 5 minute drive from Clarendon], I love my studio apartment so much and the drive into D.C. is literally 5 minutes so I don't feel like I'm too far away!  I want to teach in D.C. so I figure I'll be living here for at least a few more years, we'll see where I end up!

Discovering Arlington- what are your favorite places to shop/eat/go with friends/ people watch?
There are so many places I love both in D.C. and Arlington I have no idea how to narrow them all down!  In D.C. I love going to happy hours all over the city, it's my favorite way to go out and catch up with my girls.  Some of my favorite happy hour places are Zengo, Oya, Chef Geoff's Downtown, and Mad Rose Tavern [Arlington].  Also, I'm a huge foodie and will go to a restaurant any chance I get.  It's my goal to go to every restaurant in D.C., and trust me, I'm well on my way!  

When my mom is in town and I'm craving an absolutely over the top dinner I love Rogue 24, 1789, and Bourbon Steak at The Four Seasons.  When I can't afford an over the top dinner, but still want something incredible, I head to Bodega, Jaleo, Founding Farmers, or El Centro.  In terms of going out, Lost Society [or really any place on U St.] has always been a favorite of mine, as has Park at 14th.  

I love to shop in Georgetown [I really miss Barnes & Noble!]; Blue Mercury and Sephora are my favorites, but I always find myself walking in Cusp "just browsing" and walking out with everything I did not need!  I also love shopping in Clarendon, especially when I used to have off on Fridays.  Market Common Clarendon has LOFT, lulu lemon, The Container Store, Pottery Barn, Origins, and Williams & Sonoma [just to name a few of my favorites].  It's so nice to walk around and then slip into Cava Mezze or Circa for a quick lunch and afternoon glass of vino!      

Perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon in Arlington?
A perfect Saturday afternoon would certainly include a mimosa brunch.  In D.C. my favorites are Zengo, Cedar, and District Commons [I have a ton more places on my list I have yet to go to].  In Virginia you can't have bottomless mimosas [lame] but I recently discovered Whitlows on Wilson in Clarendon, which to many is just a dive bar, but their brunch is actually amazing.  Carafes are inexpensive and their buffet includes crab legs & fried chicken, along with a ton of other options….for $20, perfect hangover food!  Anyway, after brunch I love either just going shopping [most of the time by myself, I just prefer that] in either Georgetown or Clarendon, or taking my dog to my apartment's dog park.  

Saturday is usually the day I'll get my bi-weekly pedicure & gel nail fill- I go to W Nails in Pentagon City, they have so many pedicure options, the staff is friendly and they always have the Travel Channel on, so…I love it.  I also love to try new recipes on Saturday and Sunday afternoons if it's a low-key day…my favorite food blog is How Sweet Eats, I'm obsessed with making her recipes!  I also have just about every cookbook they sell at Anthropologie and I love trying new healthy recipes from those as well!  


Elizabeth from Love. Life. Beauty.
Check out more posts in the Discovering DC archive here.

No comments :

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground