Guest Post: Design, Passion, Dreams – My American Architectural Favourites

29.7.13

I'm delighted to share this great guest post on American architectural favourites by the fantastic Andrea Morgan! Andrea blogs at Trying to Balance the Madness, a great and inspiring blog about architecture and design. She has also recently set up Citrus Content.  Read on to find out more about her American architectural favourites!

---


I have been a fan of Laura’s ever since I heard her speak at ‘Women Doing Digital’ event about her online journey.  Since then we have become friends (although I am a little jealous over her handbag collection!)

When she asked me to write a post on my favourite American architectural styles I was honored.  I started my twitter journey a couple of years ago and launched my blog Trying to Balance the Madness just over a year ago.  I love blogging and sharing my passion for homes and interiors, especially Dream Homes from around the world.

On choosing my top architectural favourites I knew straight away what my choices would be.  I love the space homes in the America encompass, the real thought in layout and the envious closet sizes.

via
The Brownstone

I fell in love with the Brownstone after visiting New York and Boston.  They are so forebodingly dramatic yet elegant and the staircases to the main door always seem inviting.  The Brownstone has also been a popular choice for TV and Movie producers and I can understand why.


via
Cape Cod Cottage

I can feel the warmth on my cheek, the slight breeze in my hair and a pure feeling of relaxation.  When I see a Cape Cod Cottage this is the picture that it breathes. The style originated in New England in the 17th century and is symmetrically designed round a front door. The modern equivalents keep some of the main themes but they tend to have a dormer and a garage.



via
Contemporary

When researching for my blog I come across the most amazing contemporary homes.  Their design juxtaposed on the scenery behind them. Their angles and shapes are extraordinary, and their use of space inspiring.

via

via
Victorian

One of the cities that fascinates me is San Francisco, with its wealth of eclectic Victorian architecture.  The seemingly vertical streets are decorated by beautiful homes and when colour is added it becomes mesmerizing.


via
via
Seattle House Boat

Sleepless in Seattle is where I first discovered the Seattle House Boat.  I remember the scene when Sam first stepped out onto the terrace at the back of the house and the water was shimmering in the evening air.  The earliest house boats in Seattle were recorded in 1905. I love their uniqueness in design and adore their closeness to the water.  I always imagine it being so calming living on the water and amazing within the electricity of a storm.


via

via
Log Cabin

Crisp winter air, roaring fire, luxurious rich fabrics to snuggle up as you warm yourself inside the lodge.  The log cabin seems synonymous with American history and a favourite with the American Pioneers.  Since their humble beginnings they are now built on a grand scale and are often surrounded by breathtaking scenery.


via

via
Colonial

It wouldn’t be right to do this post and not include one of the post popular architectural styles in the USA, Colonial.  The Style can trace its influences to England and as architecture evolved through the years, designers have put their own stamp on the classic design.  The Colonial style just embraces the words “family home”, they have such warmth about them that is so welcoming.


Which are your favourites? 

You can follow Andrea on Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook.

No comments :

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground